Tuesday, April 10, 2012

One potato, two potato....

 I should pay more attention to my oven. Or my nose. Or both. *sigh* here's what happened: I made baked potatoes about 10 days ago and that should be the end of the story. Meanwhile, I thought maybe something was wrong with my electric frying pan (which I love, and would be lost without) because every time I was using it, I was smelling an odd "burn-y" smell. (I usually use both the oven and the electric frying pan during the prep of meal. Well, maybe not usually, but often.) I knew it wasn't anything in the oven because I opened the oven door and used my eyes to look inside. I'd put a pot or dish in there, and continue on my culinary adventure, running down the basement every now and then to make sure that things weren't burning down there. All was well. So, tonight I was roasting some asparagus, and when I pushed the cookie sheet into the oven I heard  rustling noise. This time I actually bent over to look inside, and lo & behold...a silvery nugget of burned potato was smooshed up against the back of the oven. When I unwrapped it, it looked like a black truffle, and when I touched it, it was hollow and hard and crumbled away.  What can I say? When you check your oven, bend over and check it properly. Or count your potatoes.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Pauline said...

I just read this Shannon. That is so funny. Thankfully, I have a wall over, so no bending for me. :)