Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cynical Saturday.

The latest trendy phrase that annoys me is the ever more frequently heard (and heard in a cynical and/or arrogant and/or condescending tone) "Phffft. First world problems...."

You've heard it. You may have even said it.  I say it to myself quite often. Myself. I say it to myself in the context that I would say "Oh for gods sake Shannon, don't cry over spilled milk."  Prime example: I received the niftiest little table calendar in the mail a few months ago, and completely forgot about it until today, when I was at the table, and needed a calendar. I searched and searched and just couldn't remember  where I put it. I stomped around in a funk for hours. Well, for 15 minutes. And then I looked at my other calendars and said "Stop whining. Sheesh....first world problems. Gads. Grow up."

(And I accidentally came across it a cupboard shortly thereafter, thanks for asking.)

And of course there are complaints that really are first world problems  but they're not news articles or complaints on Internet forums or Facebook. Things that we joke about because we are lucky enough to be able to joke about them. Things that you don't really take seriously.



But when a person does have what they consider a genuine complaint or concern  about something, or even just a rant about something that went wrong that day, and someone else says "Oh, first world problems", that person is trivializing someone else's concerns. Who gets to decide what a valid problem is? Why should your decision about what constitutes a problem be the only correct decision?

To me, it's like a backhanded, "pretend to be polite" way to say "Shut up. Your problems aren't important to me. You're ridiculous."

I might complain because I can't get in to see my Doctor in a timely manner. Don't tell me "First world problems....you're lucky to have a doctor." My concern about my health care is a valid concern, and please don't make it sound like I'm selfish.  

I might complain about having to walk somewhere in the slush and snow. Don't tell me "First world problems....you're lucky to have waterproof boots." Or even worse, please don't dare tell me that I'm lucky to have feet. If I am upset about having to walk somewhere, I have every right to voice that feeling without being made to feel like I'm self-centered. Yes, I know that there are people with no feet. That is not relevant to my problem.

I know that I'm lucky to have so many petty problems to complain about. Really, I do know that. So please, do not trivialize my problems to satisfy your own Western guilt. You have no idea what genuine problems I may (or may not...) have. Or what charities I may (or may not) support. 

And if you truly feel that my problems are not worth a moment of your time to listen to, then kindly go away. And take your #arrogance with you, and remember:

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do."
~Voltaire.













No comments: