Friday, November 09, 2018

Cruise Part 14. Back in Florida.

Docked back in Fort Lauderdale at 7 AM. Another scorcher, 30C or 86F

Our total distance travelled, from Ft Lauderdale back to Ft Lauderdale was 3,098 nautical miles or 5,737 kilometers. That's a lot of kms! It's particularly nice  when you don't have to actually drive them.

I was dreading the line-ups and hassles of getting off the boat, but to my delight and relief, they have things so well organized these days. The day prior to disembarking we came to our room to find a pamphlet explaining how it worked, and some stick-on name & number tags. 

First of all, I forgot to mention that the ship docks at 7 in the morning and our flight leaves at 7 in the evening. What to do? What to do?  However, I was pleased to see that there are shore excursions for exactly these types of situations. I was able to book a tour through the Everglades that included the airport transfer (the one where I booked the wrong airport, remember?) 

So, our name tags had the excursion number on it also which made everything even easier, although it did make me feel a bit like I was back in elementary school again. Our tag said to meet in the theatre at 7 AM-ugh. I had gone to the buffet last night and made a couple of meat and cheese buns just in case the buffet was jam-packed with 2000 people trying to eat and leave at once, but when I ran up to get morning coffee I was surprised to see hundreds of empty seats. Like I say, it was well organized. People were given different times for disembarkation, it just so happened that ours was early.

Anyhow, we met in the theatre and at 7AM sharp, our numbers were called and we followed a staff member to the gangplank and then another person checked our numbers and we were on a bus. Because we just had our little carry-on suitcases we didn't have to go to the luggage place and search for our luggage. 

Goodbye Island Princess, we left with no fanfare, no bells or whistles, all of a sudden it was just over.

It was a pleasant drive to the Everglades, maybe 1/2 an hour or so, the fellow on the bus, not the driver but the sort-of-guide thought he was a comedian and regaled us with really bad jokes, everyone laughed politely and rolled their eyes.

We arrived at the alligator and air boat place and and lined up and sure enough, a photographer is there to snap your picture.  You're only in front of a sign, nothing exciting, and they were $20 each. Our bad comedian driver told us earlier not to buy them, becuase he could bring them on the bus later and sell them for $5. What kind of a strange scam is that? Everyone thinks the their guide is saving them $15, so they buy, and probably tip him as well. I'm sure he splits the sales procedes with the photographer. Anyhow, he gave us our photos afterwards and forgot to even charge us anything at all, which is just as well because it's just another dorky picture. Can we look more touristy? 


Anyhow, do you ever watch that show on Animal Planet called "Gator Boys"? Me neither, but Steven does and this is their gator place, so he got a kick out of that. Plus, he's always wanted to go on one of those airboats and see alligators in the wild.

 
It was actually a lot of fun, the mangroves are beautiful, and not quite as creepy as I had thought. I imagined more like the bayou's in Louisiana...dark and sinister. These were quite bright and cheery.




The driver would speed up now and then and take us on a bit of a joyride and my fear was falling out and meeting an alligator. And believe me, they were there and visible.

 

It's really hard not to drag your hand through the water when in a boat, but after I saw a few of these things, silently eye-balling me, I pretty much sat on my hands.

After the boat ride, we went to the rescue centre and watched a strapping young man handle some alligators. These were nuisance gators, this one had gone into someone's back yard and eaten two chihuahua pups. 

Look at it's sneaky grin. There were a dozen or so alligators in the enclosure with this guy, this was one of the smaller ones he handled, I think he said it was about 200lbs.



I probably should have paid more attention to his spiel, but he really was a fine specimen to look at and my mind was elsewhere. The gator was a nice specimen as well.  (ha, ha, I know, corny joke, I'm as bad as the guide on the bus.)


Resting his chin on the alligator's chin


After this we had a chance to shop in their store, I bought water, I think Steven bought himself a t-shirt.
And then we headed to the airport, so see 'ya later, alligator. (Again...I know...but you have to say it)

The  bus dropped us off at the Air Canada terminal, and since we were a few hours early for our 7PM flight the line up through security was minimal, it didn't take long at all.  We found a restaurant called The Torn Basil and had the best little pizzas I have ever had. 


The flight was uneventful and we reached Montreal on time, there were no line ups through customs or security, but mind you, I had booked seats in the area right behind first class, the "in-between" of first class and economy, I can't remember what it's called, but the seats are roomier and you can get off the plane super quick, and with no luggage to wait for, we booked it to the in-terminal hotel. I tell ya, I'll never stay in a hotel that isn't in the terminal again when I have an early flight. We were in our room, literally, within 25 minutes of leaving the plane. No waiting for luggage, no waiting for a shuttle, no getting up extra early to catch the shuttle next morning. Obviously with age I have discovered I need a bit more "easy and simple" in my air flight life.

The room was glorious....beds were like clouds and the curtains were black-out. I was able to practice my pathetic French, but I did learn it in Quebec, so the québécois here was ok. Morning came far too early, I think the alarm was set for 5:30, so we stumbled out of the hotel and to our gate. The wait wasnt long, we lined up according to our "group number" on our boarding passes and after the first group left, there was a bit of a wait because they were lookiing for someone or something, I'm not sure, but the point being, I was first in line for the next group....there was no one in front of me for me to follow. The gate-lady gestured us through, and I headed down the corridor.

Now, let me mention, as you know, those corridors go directly to the plane. They don't go anywhere else, thus the reason there is no one there to point you in any direction. Well, at one bend there seemed to be a junction of sorts, and I took the one that seemed to continue in the plane direction, and of course 100 or so people were behind me. Aaaand.....dead end. WTF? I hastily and shamefacedly did an about face and headed towards the unmarked junction, the group following me like lemmings. How embarrasing. One fellow said, jokingly I hope, "Remind me to never follow you again." I just mumbled "No one should ever follow me, ever." Eventually we boarded and flew away. Tried to watch a couple of movies, but the exhaustion had set in and we both dozed off and on. Got to Calgary on time, had a short wait, about 45 minutes I think, and then caught the 18 seat mini-plane home. Our friend picked us up and in 20 minutes we were home. All over and back to the usual routine. Steven is always happy to return home, but not me, I could travel for months and months at a time. Really, I really could. 

I will do one final entry after this one, a synopsis of sorts. 

Welcome Home.

1 comment:

Pauline said...

I'm come travelling with you Shannon. Not quite down to just a carry-on but the luggage is getting lighter. :)