Monday, October 16, 2023

New Orleans Part 13. The End.

 Last morning here. It went so quickly, and there are still a few things I had hoped to see, but oh well….maybe anther trip in the future?

We had our usual breakfast and then went for a walk so i could take some pictures of a few murals I had seen painted on some buildings just up the street.



Then we headed back to the hotel to check out, and called a cab to the airport. Probably everyone but me has seen this technology for calling cabs, but it was new to us! I guess each one is connected to that particular hotel; when I asked if they could call us a cab, he said “Oh, just push that button” so I did, and a screen popped up saying what out driver’s name would be, where he was, and expected time of arrival. It took about 3 minutes and the cab was there. I was quite intrigued.



Anyhow, we zipped off to the airport, and the security was minimal, we were through in about 15 minutes and at our gate in no time, with lots of time for lunch at Lucky Dog. I also had a couple of free $10 gift cards from Starbucks that I had received at the Barrett-Jackson auction. I am always hesitant to use “free” things because they hardly ever are, but these worked fine and we each had some sort of fancy blended, carmel-y, whipped cream concoction. 

The flight left on time, landed in Denver where we had to change planes again, but this time there was no horrible concourse “take a train” change and all went well.

Actually, even though I still haven’t had the joy of sitting with a dog on a plane, I did get to play with Biscuit for an hour while we waited! She is an 11 year old rescue who dropped her toy on my foot to play fetch. She could only run a foot or two, so it was a slow game, but fun nonetheless.


I always treat myself to an airport paperback when we travel, and I generally leave it in the airport with a note saying “pass it on” and stating  what airport it was left in, but I hadn’t had a chance to finish this one yet, so it came home with me. Jack Reacher books are my “airport go-to” and I am always happy when I find a new one!




And before we knew it we were back in Kalispell. We just walked to the hotel, we were there probably before the luggage was unloaded on the luggage carousel. It was about 9:30 pm, so we simply went to bed. Funny how you can be so tired from a flight when really all you do is sit. 

Next morning we headed home and were in our own house by 1pm. Hard to believe that only 24 hours earlier we were walking on the streets of New Orleans. Travel is so mind-bending.

Anyhow. The trip was great. Here is my “New Orleans A to Z”

A- Alligators!  I saw some and ate some.

B- Beignets, Bread Pudding, Bananas Foster, the good foods start with B!

C-Crawfish! Like a delectable but better prawn.

D-Dirty rice. Better than it sounds. And the Dixieland Band. 

E-Etoufee. Similar to gumbo, but thicker.

F. Frogs legs and file. 

G. Gumbo! 

H. Hurricane…the potent drink that is a “must have” on Bourbon Street.

I. I can’t think of anything I saw or ate that starts with I, except “I” loved it here.

J. Jambalaya

K. King Cake!

L. Lafayette Hotel, our recommended home away from home.

M. Muffuletta and Mardi Gras World.

N. Nectar flavoured sno-ball.

O. Oysters and Okra!

P. Po’boy and pralines.

Q. Queen of Hearts float in Mardi Gras World. 

R. Remoulade, Roux, Red Beans & Rice. 

S. Swamp Tour, Street Cars and Sno-Balls.

T. Turtle soup 

U. Ursuline Convent.

V. VooDoo potato chips (and voodoo in general)

W. Walking shoes…we walked and walked and walked.

X. Some of the X-rated scenes on Bourbon St.

Y. Got nuthin’ here. 

Z. Zydeco music and Zapps potato chips! 

Rating? 10/10….highly recommend!




No comments: