Friday, November 11, 2005

All about Ducks and Dogs.

I just discovered that you can get film developed on a disk (disc?) and download the pictures that you like & then send them to people. Apparently this is very common knowledge, but it was a revelation to me! So I won't have to get a digital camera for my holiday, I can hopefully manage this way. We'll see, this entry will be all about experimenting.

If the pictures work, you'll see my "grand-dog" dressed up in her winter clothes, which she really does like, even though she seems to be sticking her tongue out at me. The jacket keeps her little bare city-bred belly a little warmer while we are on out walks,plus we praise her & tell her how beautiful she is, she rather likes that. She has a bit of an attitude...

On our walks we go to Idlewild Park, a 10 minute walk from my house. During the fall, the ducks and Canadian geese stop by to rest a bit prior to their journey south. The have become quite used to people feeding them bread, so as you walk by the lake, they paddle furiously over to you, honking and quacking and looking for treats.The drakes push the females out of the way, preening and stretching their glowing green heads towards me, the dowdy females wait and eat afterwards. The geese however, share their food and walk nicely with each other.I have read that geese mate for life, they certainly treat each other with the bird version of respect. I think you could fed them from your hand, although I don't want to try, it's really bad enough to be feeding them in the first place, but they are so gorgeous and to see them so close is such a treat. Gypsy sits amazingly still and watches, her body tense and eyes riveted on them. She is just aching for me to say "Ok...GO!" but of course (to her dismay) she isn't going to get that command. She is the best behaved dog I have ever met.

No comments: