Thursday, April 17, 2008

After I had finished wandering through the cemetary, I decided to head back towards Luxembourg Gardens, since it was such a nice day I thought I'd sit in the sun for a bit and watch the sailboats. Being a Sunday, a lot of families were there enjoying the weather.
I then walked across the street and up a block or two to see the Pantheon. Inside, I was mesmerized by a Foucault's Pendulum, which I knew virtually nothing about. Luckily there was a small video to watch that explained it all, and how it proves that the earth revolves on its axis. The pendulam swings back and forth, but it is hung with such exact precision that it's the motion of the earth that you actually see. Umm..I'll admit it, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me even after having watched the video.

Foucault's Pendulum.
The interior of the Pantheon, huge! The crypt downstairs has 80 permanent residents, including Victor Hugo and Marie Curie.

No comments: