Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Dizzy Dame

Last week I took 2 "sick days" off from work. We don't actually get any sick days, per se, but I have never...and I mean quite literally, NEVER taken time off work due to illness. Not at any job. I was sort of depressed at ruining such a great record, I never even missed school due to illness. I missed a half day in grade 8 for an eye appointment, and that was it. Not that I am never ill, I had measles and chicken pox as a kid, but always during summer or Easter holidays, I get a cold every few years, but it only lasts a day or 2, and I've never had the 'flu.



So, this was quite an event for me. It was an inner ear thing, and it started like this:



I spent Saturday feeling a little "off", my ears had that airplane feeling. I lay on the couch and felt dizzier and queasier as the night went on. Next AM I thought I should hop into the shower and "wash those ailments right outta my hair." Imagine my surprise when my knees gave out and I had to sit down in the shower. I managed to rinse the soap off of me and bundled up in towel. I seemed to have no sense of balance at all, and I weaved (wove?) down the hallway to start the coffee. When I realized that the thought of coffee was revolting, plus the fact that I couldn't move my eyeballs with falling over, I phoned my boss and told her I was too sick to work.



I crawled back to bed and as the day went on, I progressivly become worse until Steven told me he was taking me to the hospital. I was lucky that the on-call Dr. was Steven's old Dr.(who doesn't have office hours anymore, so we don't ever see him) although he did a double take when he saw Steven; "You look FANTASTIC! So tanned and you've lost so much weight...wonderful!" and shook his hand and looked up and down and this specimen of health, as I lay there thinking: "Scuse me....sick person here, trying not to vomit...".



Anyhow, he looked in my ears and gave me some antibiotics, but more importantly, he gave me a huge shot of Gravol....oh bliss.... I slept most of the day and all night, and next AM went to myDr. who agreed with the diagnoses and flushed my ears out as well.



It ended up taking a just about a week for all the dizzyness and upset tummy to go away, and now I am back to normal, but I will never "pooh-pooh" people who have vertigo or any sort of balance problem again...that was THE WORST I have ever felt.

"Health is the thing that makes you feel that now is the best time of the year."
~Franklin Pierce Adams.

No comments: