Friday, July 11, 2008

Well, this is my first post in a few days, I have been busy with the sorts of things that everyone deals with, you know, housework, yard work and regular "pay me every two weeks " work. I have also attended the funeral of my cousin Jim, who died while waiting for a liver transplant. We were SO sure that a liver would be available, I couldn't quite grasp what was happening when Steven told me that Jim had died.

It's been a year of ups and downs so far. I went to Paris, my father died, my brother in law died, we went to Las Vegas, we had a big family reunion (Steven's side) and then Jim died. At Jim's funeral, one of the songs that played was Louis Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World." I am not so sure about that anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not falling into a depression or even a small funk, and I feel like I am one of the luckiest people that I know, but I'm not so sure about the state of our world.

I don't want to be a hypocrite, because I DO spend money sometimes in a foolish way, when I know that there are people elsewhere who's lives could be changed dramatically if I gave them the money that I spent on something that I could live without, but on the other hand...I have worked all my life and I think I have the right to treat myself now and then. I'm not really sure what sort of point I am trying to make, it's become an odd world that we live in, that's for sure.
's

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,
So sorry to read about your cousin Jim. Good health is a precious gift that we (well, me anyway) take for granted.
I think, in some respects, that we are becoming a selfish world. I know I'm becoming selfish. I see (some) people who live on credit, spend money they don't have and then expect me (my taxes anyway) to take care of them when they go belly up. That really gets up my nose.