Sunday, February 01, 2009

I am really finding it hard to think of things to write. I think that January is that kind of month though, sort of slow and a little dreary. Not much happening, the Christmas exitement is all over with and not much is going on.

I heard on the news the other night that some of the sponsers for the 2010 Olympics have filed for bankruptcy and have therefore pulled out of their sponsership. These are not smaller companies, but HUGE ones like Nortel. Other sponsers are having their own economic meltdown and have simply pulled out.

And what does that mean to the citizens of BC? Well kiddies, it means that we, as in Us Taxpayers, have to make up the difference. Yes, the entire difference, which is reputed to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

I KNEW the Olympics in Vancouver were a bad thing. A bad, bad thing. The cost overruns are already in the hundreds of millions and they are getting higher and higher as more and more sponsers pull out. "Pull Out." Sounds vaguely sexual doesn't it? As well it should, as we are being royally screwed.

So our taxes will go up. Now, I am one of those people who don't generally complain about taxes, as long as they are reasonable. I mean, think of it, our taxes pay for things that I like. I like to have clean water that comes right to my house, I like having paved streets and I'm glad my children got to go to safe schools that had a roof. Our health care may be having it's share of problems, but I still can see a doctor when I need to. So taxes have their place, and it's usually pretty good.

But paying for the Olympics? That really bothers me. There isn't a politician in the world that can convince me that these Games will be good for BC.

~ Collecting more taxes than is absolutely neccessary is legalized robbery.
~Calvin Cooledge

No comments: