Friday, May 03, 2013

"C" is for Canada, land of Casual Co-pilots & Comfy beds.

We are on our way! I know that some people "start" their holiday on arrival, but I start mine the minute I leave the house, and I savor every moment.

The plane left Cranbrook on time and the co-pilot told us we'd be 40 minutes in the air, and we were....to the minute. Canadians are so punctual. And I love living in an area where flying is still so casual....not only is the cockpit door not locked....there isn't EVEN a cockpit door. The co-pilot looked to be about 14 years old, I don't think he's started shaving yet and he welcomed us aboard and told us that if we were too hot or too cold, to just tap either him or the pilot on the shoulder....whichever of them looked to be the least busy, and they'd adjust the temperature.

It was pretty warm on the little plane, but I was fearful that an unexpected shoulder tap might cause all sorts of mayhem, 14 year olds tend to be jumpy at the best of times, so I refrained from any unnecessary touching of the cockpit crew. It was a short flight anyhow.

I'm staying at the Delta Hotel, which is attached to the airport, the departures gates are approximately a one minute walk from my room....seriously....what a nice treat, no super early rising and no worrying about catching a shuttle. The room is soundproofed, (so they say) the bed is a king size with 5 pillows and a feather duvet and a Keurig is supplied with a good selection of coffee, what more could you possibly want in a hotel room? Some cream would be nice, to be honest. There is only that packaged Coffee Mate powder, which is quite revolting. I wandered through the airport, checking all the coffee places, thinking I'd grab a few creamers, but wouldn't you know....everyone copies Starbucks now and has the silver thermos things. *sigh*, just another reason to dislike Starbucks. I couldn't even find an empty coffee cup to pour some cream in. Oh well....first world problems....

The morning flight leaves at 9 AM, we change planes in Texas and arrive in Lima at 10:30 tomorrow evening. Whoooo-hoo! Hopefully the next batch of pictures will be a bit more entertaining!






No comments: