Thursday, January 08, 2015

Calgary Getaway.



We had to go to Calgary in January...the dreaded month for travel. You just never know what Mother Nature is going to spring upon you, and I was pretty nervous before we left, especially since we seemed to be having much more snow than usual. I packed extra mitts, touques, scarves and sweaters. A cooler with water, Gatorade, peanut butter sandwiches, chocolate and fruit. Blankets. Pillows. A lighter to start a fire. Books. A journal. After all, we were going through Banff....a person could skitter right over a cliff and not be found until spring. It could happen. And if I should go over, I'm determined to still be there when the snow melts. Alive, that is.

Weather was great and we got there in the usual amount of time. But it never hurts to be prepared.

Gas was amazingly cheap in the city. It was $1.06 a liter when we left home, but in Calgary it was this:
The next day, the same gas station had it at 76.9. I didn't think I'd ever see gas less than $1.00 a liter in my my lifetime, never mind this much less than a buck. We happily filled the tank.

We got to our hotel, and settled in.  Steven was there for a test that required fasting, so we couldn't go for dinner. My peanut butter emergency ration sandwich and snacks came in handy after all, she said smugly. Plus, the weather had decided to turn around and snow...and snow and snow some more. We had travelled at a perfect time to miss the downfall. And it was ok because it was the evening of the WORLD JUNIOR GOLD MEDAL HOCKEY GAME!!! As IF we would be going anywhere else but in front of a TV. Canada vs Russia...once again, a bitter rivalry. For my US and Aussie friends who are reading this, Canada won. After, it is our game. We  sent the American team home last week, and that's another bitter rivalry. There are no friends in hockey. 

Any TV is ok in a pinch, but we recorded it at home so Steven could rewatch in crispy-clear detail.

So, he had his test Tuesday and we went for a light dinner since he had to fast again the next day for another test, and was only supposed to eat light. But after that days test, he was allowed to eat normally again. We planned all day on where to go. 

We stumbled across a little hole-in-the-wall rib joint that smelled sooooo good. It only had about 12 small tables and a tiny bar that had about 6 barstools around it. Some sort of zydeco music was playing, and if I wasn't standing in a foot of snow in -21 degree weather, I'd have though I was in New Orleans.

Who can resist slow roasted ribs? Not Steven. So we stepped inside....I knew right away it was my kinda place, clean but worn tablecloths, wooden floors, warm and cozy, a blues-y feel.

So, I didn't order ribs (I know, I know) but Steven did. 

I have to tell a back story for a second:

Last week we were watching Family Feud and one of the questions was "Name a food that is shaped like a ball." One of the answers was "hush-puppies", and Steven asked me what they were. I told him, and it occurred to me that I'd never had a hush-puppy, and I felt a bit sad. 

Then, a day later, I was watching a movie "Beasts of the Southern Wild" and the main character, a little girl, was  named Hush Puppy.

So, then, when I saw "smoked chicken breast and hush-puppies" on the menu....well, it was a no-brainer.

And, ohhhhh....so good. The baked beans were homemade, with molasses and bacon, the coleslaw had the celery seed/mustard/ vinaigrette dressing, the "real" kind, not that mayonnaise slop that is every where these days. This stuff was like the kind that Stevens dad used to make. The chicken was tender and moist inside, sticky and smokey on the outside. And I think the maple syrup for the hush-puppies was the real stuff. It was one of the better meals I've had in a long time.

The place filled up in no time and there was a line of people waiting to get in. I figured we should hurry and let our table go to some other starving soul so I decided to have a slice of bourbon pecan pie instead.
Our server brought two spoons and extra ice cream. All I can say is...mmmmmm.

Our waitress told us that everything, including the sauces, breads and beans are all homemade from scratch, and the meats are all slow roasted (there was brisket and beef ribs too). So if you have eaten here and happen to know that it all comes from Costco....don't tell me, and I won't believe you anyhow. Let me live in my foodie-fantasy world.

Next day we headed home. The weather was gorgeous for traveling, leaving the city looked like this:

Driving through Banff and area looked like this:

But at the summit of the park, and into Radium, the radio was playing "a hazy shade of winter", which was appropriate as the weather turned to this:

We pretty much were alone on the highway, so we could travel at a speed comfortable to us, and soon we spotted our good old Canadian standby, pulled in and had this:
 
We filled up with Timmy's classic soup, coffee and maple Danish, headed home, and that was that. You take your holiday when you can, and make the best of any situation.  Happy New Year!

No comments: