Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The 6th Day of Christmas

Every Christmas since my boys were born, my mother would make them an ornament. As they grew up, she tried to make one that had something to do with a special event that had happened that year. When Scott went to Albuquerque for the balloon festival (as an exchange student) she made a Santa in a hot air balloon, when Shane graduated from high school she made him a Santa in a Grad Cap and a "Hallelujah" sign above his head (those of you who know Shane know that it was indeed a BIG deal!) When Scott discovered hockey and became a Boston fan, that was incorporated into his ornament, and of course the year Shane turned 16 involved a car and the words "Christmas is for dreaming". The year we went to the Bahamas brought ornaments with sea-shells, and when Shane first moved out, his ornament had a golden key on it. Years of Carebears, toy ducks, rocking horses and soldiers. The first snowman and the first attempt at making gingerbread men. When the Christmas parcel arrived, it was a huge deal to "open the ornament" and to find a spot for it on the tree. I sure miss my mom. Every ornament has their name and the year embroidered on it somewhere. Here are 6 of my favorites. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Californiamama said...

What beautiful treasures, how lovely to have these to pass on and on.... your mother did an amazing job.

Coral said...

Shan, What special treasures...I know how much you miss your mom, I am glad that you have beautiful memories...I love that idea of "Special Ornaments" How neat!