Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Hoooray! I figured out where my colour and Fonts were. They weren't really anywhere, it was a simple click of a button that I needed.

What I wanted to talk about today though, is overly large people on airplanes. Every now and then you read an article about someone who has decided to sue an airline, either because they were told they are too large for 1 seat and are forced to buy 2 seats, or, the other side of the story, where someone is sitting beside a large person and has a crummy trip because they are squished.

When it's the first scenario, the person always claims they are being discriminated against, and when it's the second scenario, that person claims that they bought a space and are entitled to have the exact same amount of space as the large person who is beside them (and oozing into their area.)

Well, I always agreed with the non-large person, and now I can claim to have almost experienced it first hand. I say "almost" because it was only for 17 minutes, but it was the worst 17 minutes ever. The flight from Vancouver to Victoria is a short hop across the water, but in a regular Dash 8 type of plane.

When I got on the plane and saw a large man sitting by the window, I was a little concerned as he really was pretty big. I sat down and he had to shift himself over towards the window, and I squeezed myself in. We could NOT put the armrest down as he was too big to fit in his seat and he did indeed "ooze" into my area. I know that sounds rude to say, but it's true. I had to lean towards the aisle and his body was touching mine, through no fault of his own. He was apologetic (and thank goodness he smelled nice) My neck was sort of bent away from him and, as I said, the flight was only for a few minutes so it wasn't worth a complaint. But Good God, if it were a 2-3 hour flight (or longer...) I don't know what I'd do. There was NO ROOM for 2 of us.

This is something that truely needs to be looked into by the airlines a little closer. He had to ask for a seatbelt extender, I sort of think that that is a dead giveaway that the passenger is TOO BIG. I know that Southwest has a policy about this, and they are always being sued, but kudos to them for sticking to their guns.

That's my rant of the day. Make large people buy 2 seats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh Shannon,
I agree with you. If you are too big to fit into an airline seat and you 'overtake' the next seats space, pay for the extra space.
I always pull the dividing arm down between seats. One of the reasons why I only ever fly in an aisle seat is because I DON'T want to be squished by a fat person.