Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's official. Besides looking like my mother, I am now turning into her as well. I just spent the better part of the afternoon organizing my cupboards the way my mother used to have hers, and throwing away an absolute load of dishes, pots etc that I really don't need.

Not "throwing away" as in tossing in the garbage, but they'll go to the Sally Ann or somewhere. I am finding that I feel the need to pare my life down to the bare essentials. Other than books, I can't get rid of books, I have books I haven't looked at for years and years (and years) but you never know when you just might need that particular book. I kind of doubt I'll ever have the urge to re-read The Bobbsey Twins at the Seashore, but I can guarantee that the second I throw it away, I'll need it for something crucial. So the more I clean out my closets and cupboards, the more books I seem to accumulate. I guess it's true that Nature abhors a vacuum, in my case she fills it with books.

~A room without books is like a body without a soul.
~Cicero 106BC-46BC

No comments: