Friday, April 17, 2009


What is it about Susan Boyle that moves us? I saw a little clip on some TV show last night and I was quite touched. Today I watched the full clip on You tube and I was visibly moved...goosebumps, chills and tears in my eyes.
Is it the fairy tale aspect? The Cinderella story? She is an unlikely international sensation to be sure. Sadly, the world in general really does judge a book by it's cover, and while she is an average looking woman, that isn't what "the industry" wants. Her voice negates the need for window dressing, but you know as well as I do what will happen once Hollywood (or the British version thereof) gets their hands on her.
What I really wonder, though, is why are we all so surprised that such a voice (oh, SUCH a voice) can come out of this woman? Could it be because the voices that we tend to think are wonderful all come out of Hollywood and media manufactured bodies? Do we truely believe that an average looking person can't have any talent? We all saw the audience snicker and roll their eyes as she announced she was unemployed, lives with her cat and has never been kissed. The sound of claws unsheathing was almost audible.
I find it sad. We watch those shows almost anticipating people who are going to make a fool of themselves. And hasn't Susan Boyle given us a swift kick?
Two things moved me. One was when, just seconds before she starts to sing, she gives this sneaky little smile, as if she is saying: "Go ahead then, laugh at me...but just you wait. Just wait and see what this 47 year old un-hip woman is going to do."
And secondly, is part way through they show Simon with his chin in his hands and he just gives a huge and happy sigh, almost like a young kid looking at their favorite movie star.
Susan Boyle...you showed us all, didn't you? You rock!
Oh how wonderful is the human voice, it is the organ of the soul.
~Henry Wadsworth Lonfellow.

No comments: