Tuesday, February 01, 2011

3 reasons to stay home.


Things that are good about today: I can look outside and watch this amazing bluebird who has been hanging around all morning.

It's Feb 1st, so that means it's Calendar Flipping Day at my house! I have about 13 calendars, I'm a bit addicted to them, ever since my mom bought me my very first "real" one when I was about 12. Not a bank freebie calendar, but one with stickers...and I was hooked. I still have that one somewhere, I should go and dig it out and see what things I have written and noted on it. Every year, ever since then, my Mom and I made a point of finding a special calendar to buy for each other at Christmas. Sometimes we lived in tiny airforce bases in the middle of nowhere, and it wasn't always easy to find a decent one, but we always managed.

The year that I was hooked on The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (ahhh, yes children, that was years before the movies were even dreamed of...)she managed to find an amazing one with visions of Gollum and Frodo. The year I read Watership Down, she found one with dreamy, watercolour-style pictures.

And one year it was maps...ancient maps, maps from the 1400's with "Here there be dragons" and "terra incognito" in places that i would someday go.

*sigh* The notations are little slices of life, Shane's first tooth, Scott's first step, doctor appointments, and birthdays. Births of babies, deaths of loved ones. Anniversaries and messages to take out the garbage and pay a the taxes. Buy insurance.Weddings and funerals. The good and the bad, all marked down there, year after year after year. My calendars are a journal of my life.

Well, this turned into an ode to calendars, I tend to sidetrack and digress so easily.

The other good reasons to stay home today? I can read my Kindle, which has a newly downloaded Stephen King that I haven't read yet (he's my favorite author, well, him and Agatha Christie.) And if I don't feel techno-savvy, I can read the tried and true hardcover of his that I also have.

It's a good day just to be here.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: