Friday, February 04, 2011

Amazon.

So I have fallen in love with my Kindle, as you may know by now, but I have had some trouble with it freezing up. Not during use, but when I "put it to sleep" and then later, when I go to read some more, it sometimes has frozen. It only takes a minute to restart, and nothing gets lost or deleted, but you know that something isn't right. I was really hoping I didn't have a lemon.


I Googled "frozen Kindle 3" and to my amazement, found all sorts of forums and boards for Kindle users, and a lot of the folks who have the Kindle 3 (which I have..."The Latest Generation", making it sound like a Star Wars movie.) Anyhow, many of these owners were voicing their despair in the freezing of their Kindles. "Hmmm" I mused to myself, "I think there is something rotten in the state of Denmark." So I perused all these forums and came to understand that there is something not quite right with the "unlighted leather Kindle cover." It clips into the Kindle, you can see the little hook things, and there are corresponding holes in the Kindle itself, and they all hook together securely so you have a cover for your Kindle.

However, it seems that somehow, there is a connectivity (pretty certain that's the wrong word) problem, and something to do with metal hooks and computer parts and the gee-gaw connecting to the widget sends wrong messages to the motherboard.

So, they said, so, phone Kindle Support, and they'll credit you $60 and send you a new and better leather cover, with a built in light.

"Pshaw" I thought to myself, "That ain't ever gonna happen".

So I found the phone number, called them at 11:30 at night, listened to a robot tell me that my wait time would be less than a minute ("pshaw" I thought again, "as IF.")

And in a minute or less, a real woman answered, and as I told my tale of woe, she clicked her magic computer fingers and a credit of $60 appeared on my Amazon account, and she led me through the process of ordering a new (burgundy coloured) lighted Kindle cover. As well as a $10.00 credit since I will have to pay a $10.00 shipping & handling fee...no fault of theirs, it's a cross border shopping problem.

So Hoorah! for Amazon...that was customer service above & beyond. Yes, if their original covers are causing troubles, of course they should be taken care of, but it was handled quickly, and I get a better cover, and I get a real person who was nice and spoke English (yes..we've run this route before, and it's my blog, and if I despise outsourcing, then I can say so.) And, there is no returning of the old cover, there is no looking up invoices, it was all done with the utmost professionalism.

So three cheers for Amazon.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: