Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mexico Day 5

Shane spotted what he thought was a raccoon in the hallway one night, and when I came out to look at it, I thought it was too, but as we watched it  wander down the hallway and slowly go down the stairs, not in the least concerned about the fact that we were staring at it,  and saunter over the garbage can down below and peek inside  for goodies, we realized it wasn't a raccoon, but rather a coatimundi. I guess they are basically the Mexican version of a raccoon, a bit of a scavenger and also an explanation to the scattered dishes and food in the hallway each morning. I thought that the folks who were leaving their room service plates outside their door were just tossing them or tripping over them or something equally careless. Instead, I guess these little fellows were coming around to help themselves to leftovers. One morning there was a scattering of butterfly wings and parts, and one tiny bloody footprint. I wish I had taken a picture of it...did a butterfly really fight to the death and injure a coatimundi?

No comments: