Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mexico Still day 3.5


I just can't seem to get in the blogging mode, perhaps I'm just bored of this particular day. We finished it off by landing in the water (bum first remember!) and snorkeling through this cave. Well, I didn't snorkel, I just swam. I get in a panic when I put that tube in my mouth and the face mask on, besides that, I had forgotten to take my glasses off and I just knew I'd drop them and never see them (and never see) for the duration of the trip. And it was only day 3 after all....

So we doddled our way through the cave, dodging stalactites with our heads, and stalagmites with our legs, and small black bats with our wildly waving hands. It was very beautiful, and the water was just so clear, I really enjoyed just slowly paddling my way around. It was very dark and every now and then Daisy would turn on her flashlight to show us little swarms (herds? flocks?) of bats clinging to the roof with their little bat-bodies trembling with what I hoped was either fear or cold, and not anger or blood-lust. They were sort of cute, but also a bit creepy. We eventually emerged at the far end, dried off and then took a small walk to this old Mercedes Benz 4x4 army truck and took a 10 minute Wild Ride through the bush. It was incredibly bumpy and we came close to tipping over, it was the oddest thing, I have no idea what it was supposed to prove, tourist-wise, it's not like Mexico is known for "bush-honking" as we call it, and it nearly shook my spine into total disalignment.

We look like we were having fun, but that's just the Polite Canadian Look, because really, we were not. This last picture makes me dizzy and sea-sick when I look at it, and that's how we all felt when we shakily tottered out of the truck.

We took a small hike through the jungle, and ended up back where we started, more or less, but the good thing was, there were people there waiting for us with ice cold margaritas. I'm not really a drinker, but boy, did that go down good!


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

californiamama said...

Looks like you all had a total blast! What a great Christmas vaca!