Tuesday, September 09, 2014

The Little cabin by the Lake.

We had originally planned on bringing our motor home with us, since we knew we'd arrive Wednesday night. We planned on staying at a campground that night, and then parking by the little cabin at the lake for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Our friend, who I'll just call Tony from now on, insisted we stay in the cabin, he had "lots of room" he insisted and plus, they were having a Slovenian picnic on Saturday and he wanted us to be there for that. Not massive, this year just 100 or so people. Of which 96 were going to be strangers to me. I would know Tony, his two brothers (who I haven't seen for 30 years...literally) and Steven. Big nervous sigh.

My dilemma is that I don't like crowds of people and I don't like staying in other people's houses. I'm not antisocial (yes, I am) and I want to pay my own way. I have a fear, a somewhat irrational fear, of inconveniencing people. I'd rather walk than ask for a ride, I'd rather do it myself than ask for help. Stupid? Yeah, probably, but that's who I am.  I was reassured by Tonys son that it was really no inconvenience at all, there is plenty of room in the cabin, just no hot water. 

 So, Suck it up, buttercup. We're staying in the cabin. Know what I mean, jellybean?

. We get to Ten Mile Lake, which is a beautiful provincial park, and beside the park gates I see what appears to be the park lodge and I'm wondering how I can manage to convince both Steven and Tony that will would be so much more convenient for us to just stay there, and to my happiness, we actually pull up to the lodge.



Except for just one thing. It's not the lodge. It's their little cabin. With plenty of space:


And a kitchen to die for:
Jeez Louise. What can I say? I think I can manage to sleep here without getting in anyone's way.
Four big bedroom suites upstairs, each with a loft (a loft!) and this view in the morning:

And this view at night:

And ummm yeah, plenty of hot water.

To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. It was gorgeous. There were a few other family members there, and they made us feel as if we totally belonged.  The one brother and his wife insisted on our going to their house for dinner and while I was mortified at intruding,and I tried really hard to politely refuse, it just didn't happen....my refusal that is, and we stayed and of course a wonderful time was had by all. I don't know why I have such concerns about being a bother.

The next morning more people arrived, some trailers and campers as well as some who were just in for the day. We didn't want to intrude on their annual get together so we decided to head up the road to historical Barkerville, 

It was only about an hours drive, and what a fun day it was. The weather was gorgeous and there were very few people there, so it felt reasonably authentic. Well, it is authentic, but it felt almost like being there. Well, we were there, but you know what I mean. And for those of you who have never heard of Barkerville, it's a preserved historic town from the days of the Gold rush, and it's the largest in North America. The "staff" who of course are all actors, roam the town going about their day and interacting with each other as if we were not there. It was like being plunked down into the past, much more realistic than our local Fort Steele, which I had always been impressed by. This was beyond impressive. It was like being a voyeur into their lives....the drunk in the bar, the blacksmith, the store owners. When any of the staff have to interact with the tourists, they do it as if we are literal visitors from the future. They ask us to put away our "picture taking devices" during the show, and to "silence those infernal talk machines" during meals. They point and whisper about the women's clothing (or lack thereof) and laugh at the men's hair. It sounds corny, but it played out really well.



There was the old Chinatown still there as well:

I got my knuckles rapped with a ruler in Chinese school for asking to leave early.

There were some tiny bakeries and restaurants, which of course we had to try:

And lots of sights that were just pretty:


And of course I insisted that we walk to the graveyard. I have an affinity for graveyards and I try to visit one wherever we go.

We went to the afternoon show while we were there, a sort of variety/comedy show in the old theatre. It's the same kind of thing that you find in every historical town,  but they're always so fun and the talent is always so astounding. No pictures allowed, but these are the old stage lights, and they still use candles in them. 


By now it was getting close to supper, so we headed back to the cabin where we met up with the three brothers who took us to town for dinner. Greek. I had moussaka and baklava, and as usual, over indulged. It was soooo good. Steven and I walked for a few miles through the provincial park and then headed back for a great nights sleep in the little cabin.

Tomorrow...a pig roast with 100 or so strangers. Eeeek!

1 comment:

J.C. said...

Oh my GOD! I love the 'little cabin'! You do exactly the same thing as I do with trying not to get in the way. I also don't like to stay at someone's house, no matter how wonderful they are, because I need my own space. And I always feel like they are secretly figuring I am a nuisance and they are too polite to say so. It is weird how we think. I suspect that there is absolutely no way you would have ever been in the way in that place! If I had a 'cabin' like that I would never want to leave.