Tuesday, February 28, 2017

India. More Day 6.

So we left Agra and headed towards Jaipur. We first stop at a small city just west of Agra called Fatehpur Skiri, which is a Unesco World Heritage Site. At this point I'm still enthralled with mosques, forts and temples, however within a few days I'll be templed out. 
Everything in this area is made of red sandstone.


We arrive in Jaipur and are at one of the Trident Hotels and I will now discuss the way the staff tries so hard to please. First of all is the Indian "head-waggle", by which I mean no disrespect. It's like in Greece where an up & down nod means no, and the side to side means yes. Opposite of us. Although here, some Indians do it "our way" so as not to confuse the tourists and others do it "their" way because, well, it's their way. This of course leads to all sorts of confusion and hilarity. (To me, anyhow)
As well as this, most of the staff will say anything to be agreeable. Example. One lady was feeling ill and just wanted clear broth and cold water.

Her: Do you have a clear broth? Maybe chicken?
Waiter: Yes, ma'am, we have.
Her: chicken broth?
Waiter: Yes, ma'am, mushroom soup.
Her: No, no, I want clear....no cream, no milk.
Waiter: yes ma'am, we have tomato soup.
Her: No. Clear...(gestures to her water) No milk...(and she gestures to the cream on the table)
Waiter: Oh! Yes ma'am. Room temperature?
Her: No. Hot please.

So he brings her a cup of hot water.

Later. 
Me: Is the name of this desert The Sam?
Guy: No, this is The Tahr.
Me: Oh, the highway sign said The Sam Desert, is that a different one?
Guy: Yes, yes, this is called The Sam if you like. But it is The Tahr.
Me: So it has two names?
Guy: No, it has a different name, not Sam or Tahr. 
Me: ok.

Later.
Waiter: yes ma'am, chai?
Me: No thank you, cappuccino?
Waiter: Ok madam...just some hot chai?
Waiter: With more sugar?
Me: no chai, just cappuccino please (as I point to Cappuchino on the menu.
Waiter: Yes, ok.

And brings me chai. 

You just gotta go along with it and drink your chai.

Anyhow, in the morning of our first day in Jaipur, which is called The Pink City, we visited the Amer Fort. It's high on a hill and we rode an elephant up. I was really, really undecided as to whether or not to do this. The whole elephant treatment issue is so controversial. I hate zoos and circuses aquariums and swimming with dolphins...all of it sickens me, the using of animals for our amusement. I didn't want to be a hypocrite and I know that elephants are one of the most mistreated animals in Asia so I did some intense research, including getting ahold of the company who put together this tour, as well as local animal rights groups (and oddly enough, there was one in Jaipur)

So these elephants are considered rescues, but they have worked for this company for quite a few years. They work 4 hours a day, carrying two tourists up the hill (it's about a 20 minute ride) They are not allowed to carry tourists down the hill, apparently it's too hard on their knees/legs.

After their 4 hours, they have an area to go where they are fed, watered and rest. Our fellow told us that they are well cared for because it's their (the owner/driver) livelihood and an angry, sick elephant isn't going to go over well with tourists. I checked out their feet and ankles, one website I read told some ways to check for an abused elephant. So, I was satisfied and "Remember" our driver said "in North America you use horses for work and to ride for pleasure and for tourists"  I though "touché, you are right."

So I went on an elephant, she was 40 yrs old and her name was Madonna. When the driver called her name, she curled her trunk up and touched his cheek.



 At the top.




And that was that. My first and only elephant ride. It was fun, but I still had a bit of guilt.

No comments: