Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I always thought that my favorite flowers were carnations. They last a long while, they have that frilly and feminine look to them and they have that wonderful sort of cinnamon smell. Plus, you can put their stems in food colouring, and a few days later, like magic, you have a new coloured flower! I also have always known that my favorite colour is yellow. So where is this going? Well, yesterday, while coming into Victoria via the Airporter bus I saw a field full of daffodils and a sign: "Daffodil Pickers Wanted". I instantly thought 2 things, 1) How could I not realize that DAFFODILS are my favorite flower? How could I not?? That yellow colour, that little trumpet, the short little season that you can have them? I guess the season is the reason, they are here for such a short time that you sort of forget about them. Who ever says things like: "Oh, my sweet hubby/boyfriend/lover bought me a gorgeous bouquet of daffodils" ? Who ever breaths deeply and says: "Wow, smell that aroma, doesn't it remind you of daffodils?" Poor daffodils.

The seconds thing that I thought was: "What a great sign: Daffodil pickers wanted." Where else would you see a sign like that? It makes the job sound so appealing, can you imagine being in a field of daffodills and being PAID to pick them? Now, realistically it's probably a crummy job, your knees and back would ache, there is probably sap in the stems that smells like dandilion sap (but I love dandilions too) and may even have little bugs and crawly things that you have to shake out, not to mention bee's. But I love the idea of picking daffs for a living...the thought of wandering though a field of yellow makes me smile.

I'd post a picture of a daffodil, but I am using my Dad's Apple computer and I can't even figure out how to change the colour...I was going to post this in yellow.

No comments: