Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Why NCL?


The Four Seasons
There are 2 reasons why we chose Norwegian Cruise Lines (henceforth to be called NCL).


1. Last X-mas I wrote a letter to a friend saying that we were thinking of taking an Alaskan cruise. She phoned our house as soon as she got the letter, saying that her and her husband (henceforth to be called Wendy & Bud) were going on NCL on the 24th of May, and we should join them.




Steven and I decided that now was as good a time as any, and we booked. We booked on the same deck as Wendy & Bud, and, since only Wendy and I had ever met before (the fellows didn't know each other) we made it clear that we'd meet for dinner one night, and then take it from there, no hard feelings if we didn't hit it off.




NCL was a good choice as they are considered "freestyle" cruising, which is excellent for a commitment-phobe such as myself, I was concerned about having to eat at "table 221 at 8 PM" every night with people that I might not like. NCL has 14 restaurants and you eat when you want, with whom you want. Or you can have room service 24 hrs a day if you are overly anti-social. Or sea-sick.




When we got on the boat, and to our room, we realized that even though we were on the same deck as them, it, the whole thing was so huge that we wondered if we would ever find them. Just then I hear "Shaaaaannon!" and look down the hall, and there they are! Even stranger, Wendy said she had looked out her balcony about 45 minutes earlier and saw us walking onto the boat. What are the chances?




Bud and Steven hit it off right away, they both hunt and I was amazed at how many friends they had in common. The hunting world is smaller than I thought.




Bud had his 92 year old mother with him, and believe me, I can only hope that I am as active as Kathy when I am 92. She has always dreamed of an Alaskan cruise, and decided that now was the time for her...and she lived it up, having her favorite drink each morning...not tea, but a vodka Caesar.




Day 1. After getting organized in our room, we sat on the pool deck with Wendy & Bud and got aquainted over a "bucket o' beer". You can purchase an NCL helmet, filled with ice and 6 beer ("buy 5, get a 6th for free!") and you keep the helmet. Sort of a fun marketing ploy.




We didn't meet our them for dinner that night as they had been up since 3 AM to get their flight from Prince George, so they went to sleep early and we went to the Four Seasons restaurant for dinner. We sat with 2 other couples, one from the UK and one from France (her) and India (him). I decided that since all meals were free, that I would eat things that I normally wouldn't try, now's the time to test out new foods!




I had lamb with mint sauce, and it was pretty darn tasty, and Steven had mahi-mahi.




At this point we were in the open seas and it was a little bit "wavey", but it didn't bother either of us. We went to bed early ourselves, and slept like a log in the king size bed. The TV had 'ship channels" where you could listen to the Captains log and follow our route on the map, or you could watch the web cam, or watch a channel with info on things to do during the cruise.




Every evening the Freestyle Times was delivered, and it gave the following days itinerary, explained what sales would be on,(there was always a sale on jewels, liquor, photos, and so forth.) what to do and where to shop at the next port of call, what games and tournaments were happening etc. There was no lack of things to occupy yourself.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shannon, thank you. I'm looking forward to the rest of your 'cruise' journal. You know that I love reading about peoples' travel experiences, especially people that I have met. ciao.

Californiamama said...

You look great Shannon, the arctic agrees with you! Speaking of which (the Arctic that is) I notice you all (except 93 yr old Kathy) are wearing t-shirts! Nice to know they keep those alaskan cruises nice and toasty warm.