Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Oregon Coast Day 3

We wandered through Lincoln City, which has the distinction of having the worlds shortest river, The River D, which is 120 feet long. You can see the entire thing in the above photo. I'm standing on a bridge, and the river originates in a small lake directly behind. me.




We packed up and headed south, you know, the entire coast is only 363 miles long, but there are so many fantastic things to stop and see that we would sometimes only travel 50 miles, and it would be time to stop for the night! Seeing at least one of the 9 historic lighthouses on the coast was one of the things on my list of "must see's". This is the Yakina Head lighthouse. It was built in 1871 and is still in use today. It's been in a few movies, the most recent being 2002's The Ring, which scared the bejesus out of me.




Below, the prism light at the top, which was made in France. The flash is visible for 19 miles out to sea, and I learned that every lighthouse has a distinctive "flash" so that the ship knows which lighthouse they are seeing. This one is 2 seconds on, 2 off, 2 on and then 14 seconds off. You can tour the lighthouse for 2 hours each day, during which time the light is off. I imagine it would be pretty blinding if one were to be up there looking at it while it flashed.




The climb down was a snap, but the 93 feet up (I think it was 128 steps) just about did my poor knees in.







Posted by Picasa

No comments: