Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Science or nature?

Yesterday as we were leaving the house to go walking, a gentle gust of wind blew little snow flakes at me, little silvery looking flakes. I figured they had blown off the roof, or maybe off the trees in the yard.

But as we continued to walk, I noticed that these little flakes were falling from the sky, even though the sky was clear and blue...not a cloud in sight. It was most unusual, especially when I noticed that they were so small and so fine that when they landed on my coat they were nearly invisible. They were smooth and flat, they actually reminded me of minuscule shards of glass.When we walked towards the sun it was like walking into a cloud of silver glitter. Glitter! I love glitter and shimmery, shiny, sparkly things. Silver glitter makes me shiver with delight.

When we turned around, with our back to the sun, you couldn't see a single flake. Turn and look at the sun...clouds of glitter! Glitter! I walked up the street getting dizzy, turning from sun to no sun, sun to no sun, glitter, no glitter, glitter, no glitter. It was very dreamlike. Although that was probably from the dizziness of spinning. It felt like this:


I doubt it looked like that, but that was exactly how it felt!
And then we saw an old man walking towards us, he caught my eye and grinned, so I knew he has been enjoying the sparkles as well. I made a feeble sort of gesture towards the sun and he  pointed up and said: "It's just like walking through diamonds isn't it?"


Our walk took longer than our usual hour, basically because I was so busy looking and spinning and turning, but it was just spectacular. When we got home, I went straight to Google to find out what this phenomena was all about....I Googled: "glitter falling from the sky" and there were lots of hits (is that the term?..."hits"?) but they were mostly about actual glitter that you buy and then throw in the air at parties and what not. And other things like magical jewels falling from the sky in India, sillyness.

I then Googled "snow crystals" and all those hits were educational and scientific, websites that end in ".edu". Well, that's just boring and no fun at all. I don't even want to know those explanations. Pffft...science is depressing.

So I just decided that every now and then someone wants to surprise us. It could be Odin or Zeus or Jupiter...all gods of the sky. Maybe Tane-rore, he is the Maori god of the shimmering air! The Greeks had the god Chaos, he was the god of "nothingness from which all else sprang" There was certainly nothing there, these sparkles came from nowhere. Also, Chaos is the god of the lower atmosphere. I think it was him. Unless it was Theia, goddess of the "clear, blue sky".  Hey, what about Horagalles, god of the weather?

Maybe it was a combination, a party of the Gods. A competition, so to speak. And I got to watch. Lucky, lucky me.

greek gods greek goddesses greek mythology 300x188, Learning more about Greek mythology, Greek Mythology Greek mythologies greek goods pictures greek gods history Greek culture Gods And Goddesses Eros athena

No comments: