Thursday, March 09, 2017

India Day 10 Udaipur.

The Great Boat Revolt of 2017.

As we were heading towards Udaipur, where we were to have a boat ride on Lake Pichola, our guide made the huge mistake of simply asking if we wanted to go on the lake when we arrived, which was what our itinerary stated, or, because it was getting late and there was a possibility that the sun would be down when we got there,  if we would prefer to go the next day and make sure that we saw it in the daylight. 

Well. Holy Cow. I thought I was momentarily in the  midst of a Trump rally. A few people gave the "we're kind of tired, let's check in to the hotel and go tomorrow" response, and a few others said "No, there's other things to do tomorrow and if we don't go tonight then tomorrow will be too rushed."  And then the cranky sisters (who left us shortly after that, thank goodness) got really snarky and started snapping about how "an itinerary needs to be followed properly." and then everyone was chiming in about how sometimes things happen; traffic and roads can cause a delay so thusly things don't always go as planned,  and "no use seeing a city from a boat at night when it's dark" and others saying "don't be daft, the lights will be gorgeous" and the cranky sisters still spouting off about itineraries and rules, ohmigod it was getting ugly. Everyone was talking at once and getting louder and louder.

Finally, our poor fellow decided to call for a vote, which almost sent the sisters into an apoplectic fit, I think I saw froth at one of their mouths.  They didn't think a vote was appropriate since it caused a deviation from The Almighty Itinerary.

The guide counted the hands in the air for going tomorrow, so our guide said "tomorrow then. We will go tomorrow." Well, at this, the one cranky sister sputtered in fury "That's not how a vote works! You have to ask how many don't  want to go tomorrow too." So he asked for hands in the air for those who wanted to go tonight and the sisters flung their arms up, as did more than half of the others. 

As he counted, the numbers were in favor of "tonight", but instead of appeasing the sisters, they wanted to know why the total number didn't match the amount of passengers. "Who?" they demanded in unison and they turned their steely gaze on everyone "Who didn't vote?"  They didn't even seem happy that they got their wish, they were more pissed off that someone didn't vote. I mean, come on, it's not like it was for the presidential election or anything. Jeez....it's a boat ride.

"Me" says I. 

"Why? Why?" They seemed horrified that I chose to not partake in this horror show.

"Because" I said "I genuinely don't care if we go tonight or tomorrow. I mean I really, genuinely don't care and I'm not getting in the middle of this. I didn't come here to argue".

And I wanted to add, "Besides, remember when we first met, back on Day 1, and you looked at me
and said, in a condescending tone: "So, ummm, what's with the My Little Pony hair?"   That's why I didn't vote. So there. I actually pinned my hair back so that even more pink and purple and blue showed, just to annoy them. Miserable old Texan sisters.

Anyhow, after a few miles of uncomfortable silence, and our poor guide probably wondering why he ever chose this career, we arrived at Lake Pichola and went on the boat ride and stopped off at Jag Mandir Island, where it was daylight and fabulous sights were seen by all, even the cranky sisters.

You can see why Udaipur is called The Venice of India, or The Venice of the East.


The palace on Jagmandir Island, built in the 1600's  which is now has a restaurant and small hotel.


Peaceful gardens to sit and have a drink.

There are allegedly crocodiles in the water, to discourage swimmers, but these were the only ones I saw.

As we got back from the boat ride, the sun just started to set, so we got to see the best of both worlds.

So we checked into our Trident Hotel, one of the over-the-top ones that overlooked the lake.

Next morning my roomie and I, plus two others, decided to leave the grounds of the hotel and go roaming through the city. We asked how far of a walk it was to the gates, and then to the shops, and the doorman said he would call a golf cart for us to take us to the gates as it was a bit far to walk, but  then there would be stores not even 10 steps from the gates. After we shopped, he said, the guard at the gate would call for the golf cart to bring us back. We happily hopped in the cart and drove about 20 seconds, and I had to laugh because then we were at the gate! Hardly worth the effort to get in the cart.


 There was a huge store outside the gates, it was a maze inside and sold exquisite silks, artwork, carvings, clothes, blankets, purses, jewelry, everything you can imagine. The prices were quite reasonable, I think a silk scarf was about $12 CDN.  I bought a tunic, pink and black with silver threads running thru it, which I wore to dinner that night, along with a glittery bindi on my forehead. 


It was a shoppers paradise, this place, but seeing as how I am not a shopper, Roomie and I headed out to see what was in the streets and left the other two happily bargaining....they were both awesome bargainers and got some incredible deals.

The first road outside of the hotel grounds was fairly nice, especially compared to Old Delhi, but I still don't think I'd eat fish at the seafood place. (Note the fish on the roof, that's why I assume it was a seafood place, apparently the cow wanted to go there too.)

We headed down that road, only to find an elephant having lunch (I guess) in the middle of the road. I guess when an elephant decides to stop, there isn't much you can do. (I actually think he was there so tourists could feed him, and then pay huge amounts of rupees for that privilege)



Street restaurant.

Street veggies, notice the awesome old scale.

I didn't notice at the time, look at the kid on stilts to the left! Hahahaahah.

Wonderfully decorated vehicles. I think I liked that most about India, the vibrant colours and sparkles. 


Little shrines here and there.

We wandered quite a ways into this area of the city, stopping in a bakeries and places that wanted to measure us and make custom silk clothes (tempted, but no time) and enjoyed being the only tourists in the area, it made for everyone being polite to us, and wanting us to come into their shop, something a bit different in their day I suppose. Eventually we  made our way back to the hotel grounds, where we decided to not take advantage of the 20 second golf cart ride to the hotel door, but to check out the grounds a bit instead, which were a wonderful respite from the dust and dirt and heat in the outside streets.




The bougainvilleas seemed to be straining to get to the water.

Or trying to escape over the walls.
 
The next day we headed off to Jodphur.

No comments: