Tuesday, March 07, 2017

India Day 9 Hotel continued.

🎉Hotel #8 was the Lallgarh Palace, and it needs a post all of it's own.

It is actually a palace, albeit not used by royalty anymore, but this is what it looks like:
(This is a stock photo)
It was huge. Both sides and the back were as big as the front. Very imposing.

When we drove up, the first thing we saw were horses, elephants and camels, dressed in their Sunday finery. It was quite a sight to behold, all colorful and glittery. 




Notice how the elephant is holding his ankle wraps in his trunk as his trainer "dresses" him!


I'm not sure why their tails are tied up, unless it's to prove that they're males. 
 It turns out that they were shooting a movie (or TV soap opera, I kept getting two different answers, and I prefer "Bollywood Movie", so kindly don't correct me if you know better)

It was pretty interesting, watching all the hustle and bustle and actors running here and there.

Note this guy taking a selfie of himself with someone who is probably a well-known actor to him.


Bored between takes (I assume...what do I know?)


So at first we thought it was a wedding taking place, then we were told about the shooting of a movie out front, but that there was indeed a wedding happening too, on the other side! Eeeeek! Major excitement! 

So much beauty everywhere and hard to tell who was a wedding guest and who was an actor. I was in glittery-sparkle heaven.




The young girl in the white told me she is studying hard because she wants to go abroad someday, I showed her pictures of our recent snow and she said "But maybe not to that place!"




This little one became my friend and seemed to be underfoot everytime I turned around. She spoke amazingly good English and when I showed pictures of Steven fishing, she nodded sagely and said "Ah. I'm veg. You're non-veg." I didn't dare show her pictures of the deer and elk hunt!


Here she is again, she wanted her friends to have their pictures taken too, I had small Canadian pins with me, so I gave them all one to remember Canada.

Anyhow, the inside of the hotel was incredible. I was never so lost in my life. There were hallways and hallways and hallways. There didn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to the twists and turns, and while they mostly had lights that were lit, sometimes they didn't and you'd either have to walk in the dark or look for light switches, which weren't always very visible. There was only one set of stairs and while I'm pretty sure it was in the same spot all the time, I'm not 100% sure because I could never find it twice. There certainly weren't any elevators.

Hmm. Dead end. My room isn't there.


Hmm. Long, dark hallway, pretty sure I don't want to go there.

Small alcove in a hallway, probably a place to rest for weary travelers who are lost in the halls.


I was a bit unnerved to come across this moody looking pool when I'm pretty sure I was on the 2nd floor. It was like every bad ending for a minor character in a slasher film. I skedaddled out of there in a hurry, and never did find it again.


This wasn't my room, but I felt a bit at home there.

A courtyard on the 2nd floor, I guess the two lounges are spare beds for those who can't find their way to their rooms. I was fairly sure I might end up sleeping on one. I peered through the large door with the arch, on the left, and could see a hallway that looked like it might be mine, but I couldn't get in as that door was locked. All the other doors you can see led into other people's hotel rooms.


I came across this "overlook" where they were filming a scene. I wanted to call for help, but I didn't think that would be appreciated. Also, an interesting tidbit: the director was yelling all sorts of instructions in what I assume was Hindi, but he'd yell "Action!" In English.



I ran into an English couple, and I asked them if they knew where the stairs were, and they weren't sure, actually she said she didn't even know that there were stairs. Later that evening I saw them again, and she said "Oh honey, are you still looking?" 

Anyhow, I eventually found my room, and it was palatial, that's for sure.
Marble floors, antique furniture and a fireplace.


Probably bigger than my whole house.

I have to say, I was quite surprised at how many of my travel companions thought this place was "dumpy", "smelled funny", "run down" and other deep concerns  about the noise from the movie and the wedding and other negative thoughts. I kept thinking, "Oh my god, you're in a third world developing country, in a palace over a hundred years old, and what's more....you're in a palace over a hundred years old!"  And they're shooting a movie here....that's really exciting! And elephants and camels are roaming around dressed in fabulous frippery. As are human beings. And it's the most amazing place ever. With hot, running water and flushing toilets. I felt like a little kid at Christmas, not sure where to look first.

Anyhow, I found someone who was willing to wander over to the wedding side of the hotel with me, to see what wonders were over there.

It looked like a scene from Alice in Wonderland. By now it was evening so the lights were on. We gazed over the shrubs like kids at a candy store window, and as three young girls came out I asked them if it was ok to take a picture. They said to go on in, but obviously that wasn't going to happen, so as I was taking their photo a older lady came out and said that she was the groom's Auntie, and please, to feel free to go into the grounds and wander about. Well, she didn't have to ask me twice! 

The three girls at the path to the grounds.


A display of gifts and garlands of flowers.

To the left was a huge buffet, filled with delectable smelling goodies, and a multitude of chefs to serve you. It continued along the back as well. Food as far as the eye could see.

One of the three stages playing awesome punjabi type music.

There were booths lined up everywhere, pot making, astrology, henna, parrot reading (not sure what that was..."tarot" maybe?) photo booths, kids play booths, it was like a travelling carnival.

All the trees were string with unusual items....puppets, picture frames and lanterns.




The waiters were so happy to be serving us. They were almost concerned when we (at first) politely refused anything, but then we kind of thought "oh what the hell....when in Rome..."









Cathy and I just sat under the stars and listened and watched, it was one of the most incredible experiences in another country that I've ever had. 

No comments: