Tuesday, November 05, 2019

South Africa #28

After we saw so many animals, we were all ready for dinner. It was 5 pm as we were leaving Addo, carefully driving around the elephant dung. Why? Because the dung beetle is probably rummaging around in there, gathering its ball of dung, an they are a protected species, so the drivers are very careful to not run them over. We saw one, cruising down the road, but he was not rolling any dung, to my dismay.

We got back to our camp, and to my everlasting joy, we were offered the chance to upgrade from a tent to a room. Three of us jumped at that! I know that camping is part of the experience, but I have camped a thousand times, from when I was a little girl to just a few months ago. If I can stay in a hotel, you can be damned sure that I will. I don't need fancy, but I love indoor plumbing.

And, was it worth the $38. Look how adorable! A kitchenette and the whole shebang.





The grounds of the resort were very lush, filled with little paths that led to little nooks and crannies.



This was the night that Wellington, our guide, was going to cook for us, and this is the kitchen that the resort provides. He had a 2 burner propane stove and some pots, and did he make an awesome traditional African  dinner. This was what I was waiting for!


A veggie mixture, carrots, green beans, corn, tomatoes, okra, onions and all sorts of spices.
 


A stew, also made with all sorts of spices, he wouldn’t tell us what they were, but lots of onion and garlic, possibly a bit of cinnamon, maybe turmeric as well, and who knows what else? So good.
It was served with pap, or ugali (a porridge sort of maize, similar to polenta) and rice. It was seriously delicious. By now it was dark, so he started a fire and we ate under the African stars, listening to frogs and crickets. There were no mosquitoes at all. It was a pretty great night, the wine flowed (not for me though. ☺️). and topping it off by being able to have a real bed instead of a thin mat in a canvas tent was the ultimate.
Chief Cook, but not the bottle-washer. We took turns helping with prep and clean-up. It was really fun.






No comments: