Tuesday, November 12, 2019

(Temporary Backup) South Africa #38.

Well, as we sat around the fire last night, after our spaghetti dinner, a few of us decided to not do the 23km hike and to have a lazy day instead. On one hand I almost felt a bit guilty about going on a hiking tour and not actually hiking, but on the other hand, I did hike up Table Mountain which was the main hike, as well as Otter Trail, which was the second “main” hike as well as a couple of other small, local hikes. I can walk for miles and miles on regular paths and trails, but the giant steps and rocks on Table Mtn and Otter Trail just killed my knees. Today’s 23 km hike was supposed to be quite flat, with only “a few” spots to clamber and only an occasional river crossing, but I was hesitant....hmmmmm......pool day? Hike in heat day? Pool day won out. No one else was there, it was so glorious! We swam, we sat in the sun, we sat in the shade, we read, we swam some more. It was a very luxurious day.





We had lunch, we swam some more, we ate some ice-cream (notice that the nuts are South African so of course I had to support the local economy). It was a seriously awesome day.




Did a little bird watching....
This is an Ibis, which must be the South African version of a crow. They are everywhere and “caw” in the most godawful screechy way at all hours.


I’m not sure what this fellow was, but very pretty nonetheless.




The hikers returned, sweaty and happy, they all said it was a great day and their pictures were gorgeous but I wasn’t in the least sad that I didn't go. 

Not really sure what this said or meant. I get that there is 12 litres of water in the tank, and then it maybe says “probably enough to flush once?” “Probably not enough for special jobs?” I know I can use Google translate, but it’s more fun to speculate.




Wellington BBQ-ed steak dinner that night, with potato salad. No pictures since a BBQ-ed steak is a BBQ-ed steak. Next morning we will be on our way through the province of KwaZulu-Natal to the town of Saint Lucia.

No comments: