Tuesday, October 29, 2019

South Africa #17


After our quick visit to Ronnie’s we continued on towards our destination for the night, which is the town of Oudtshoorn. The scenery along the way was spectacular. We are still in the area known as the wine route, but the whole thing is Route 62 and the area is the Klein Karoo, which means “small desert.” It’s the longest wine route in the world. Our driver is very amenable to stopping for photo opportunities whenever we ask, which is so nice as taking pictures from a bus window is such a hit or miss affair and generally full of blur and reflections.





We arrived at our hotel by 5:30, the Kleinplaas Self catering resort. It’s pretty fantastic! We each have tiny little “apartments”.


This was all for me. Comes with everything you need...all the dishes, coffee, more pillows than I could use and a bed for every few hours.


I tossed my suitcase on the bed(s), gave my hair a half-assed brush and headed out for dinner. In hindsite I should have cleaned up a bit more as it was a fairly nice place, but we all looked (and probably smelled) the same.  

The sun was just setting as we walked to the restaurant. Beautiful sunsets here, but holy cow the sun sets fast. It happens, literally, within a minute or two. You snooze you loose is true in this case. I have missed many a gorgeous shot by admiring it for a second too long. The sun plunges down like it’s been dropped.




Arrived at the restaurant one minute later and it was pitch black already.



I had an ostrich cutlet and a creme brûlée for desert. They were both fantastic.




Then we walked home and I decided which of my four beds to sleep in and was out like the proverbial light in 5 minutes. I am a night person and at home I’m usually up until at least midnight, but here I’m in bed and asleep by 9:30 or 10. It’s quite restful and I might have to change up my habits when I get home again. Who knew there was such a marvellous world out there at 6 AM? 😉😊







 

No comments: