Saturday, October 19, 2019

South Africa #3.

Woke up at 7:30 and flung the curtains open with joy! Well, almost. I did wake up at 7:30, but I was somewhat groggy and disoriented and stumbled about aimlessly for a few minutes before cautiously pulling open the curtains. Remember, I had no idea where I was situated. I was pleased to be greeted by the pigeon, and to see a decent view. Our hotel is called The Inn on the Square, and “The Square” is Green Market square, a cobblestone area built in 1696. It was a market area where vegetables and slaves were bought and sold. It was advertised as such, back then. Slaves and vegetables were an equal commodity. 

Actually, Capetown is not an overly friendly place. It’s not that people are rude or mean, but racial tension is bubbling right below the surface at any given time. It hasn’t been very long since apartheid and everyone is aware of that. It’s like walking on eggshells. There was a protest at the corner of the square today as a matter of fact, but we just steered clear. Homelessness and drugs are a massive problem, as is petty crime...mugging and robberies. We were warned to not go out at night. 
  
  This is my guardian pigeon. He is always there, which I don’t mind except it makes me not want to open the window, last thing I need is to phone the front desk to complain about pigeons in my room.


Anyhow, after I showered in water that had a flow of approximately the speed of which milk comes out of a baby’s bottle, I went downstairs for breakfast. The buffet is pretty amazing, all the local fruits and breads, plus the usual eggs, sausages, meat and cheeses, cold cereals and pastries. I sat outside and before long the others joined me, and and we mapped out a plan for the day. 

A couple of us went to the market and wandered through, looking at the arts and curios. A lot of great crafts at very reasonable prices.



Some children were performing, look at the concentration on the little fella’s face...they were having so much fun. I didn’t realize at first that the “bells” on their ankles were pop cans scrunched up and tied together to jingle.they sounded exactly like bells. His little feet are a blur.


This church is also in the square, notice the sign. 


This is the back of our hotel. My room is to the right of the double columns, third floor from the top. The one that looks like a window was left open in order to invite the pigeons in. Dammit.



We took a taxi to the V & A Waterfront,  which is the oldest working harbour in the Southern Hemisphere! It has been developed into a shopping and entertainment paradise. There are over 450 retail business....restaurants, high end shops, curio and souvenir store, art galleries and more. 

The weather was off & on overcast, good for walking around. Temperature was about 24C. 
The first thing we did was to make a plan when and where to meet and what to do if someone didn’t show up. The answer is always “wait 15-20 minutes and then go your merry way.” Ain’t no one got time for searching for stragglers. There were 8 of us now, so it was a good plan.

6 of us decided to ride the Ferris wheel thing, that giant one like the London Eye and The High Roller in Vegas. I think it was the equivalent of $15 Canadian for 4 “rotations” (we ended up with one extra rotation for some reason) I always feel better when I get a birds eye view of where I am, so that I can orient myself a bit. 



But, it’s midnight and a wave of weary just washed over me. Gonna hit the sack and will finish up tomorrow.


No comments: