Tuesday, October 29, 2019

South Africa #18

I’m beginning to wonder if I’m ever gonna catch up on this blog. I tend to ramble on and on. You must be wondering when the “real” Africa is going to happen....enough already with malls and hotel rooms and foodie pix. But, I love food and hotels and malls always have really clean bathrooms. 

This morning we had breakfast in the resort, an then headed off to the Cango Caves. I’ve been in caverns and caves before and never really liked them, but these were something else. First off, the fellow who was our guide was really very good, and secondly, these caves are massive, so you don't feel claustrophobic in the least. Really, you don’t. 

We followed him down...down...down...and he explained about the origins of the caves, explained about stalactites and stalagmites and how long they take to form and all that stuff that we all learned in school but have probably long forgotten. When we reached the first major cavern, he did the “shut off the lights so you can experience true total darkness” thing. I did not like that at all , and I may or may not have grabbed at a German girl beside me. She may or may not have grabbed back. There may or may not have been cave spiders mentioned and I may or may not have peed just a little.

But the lights came on and it was like something from an Indiana Jones movie. I fully expected a bad guy to be at the top of the stairs. The cavern was huge.



So now I will post a few more pictures of the various sights we saw. After the tour ended we passed through the inevitable gift shop where I bought some nifty food items...more about those later. 








Th colours and formations were unbelievable, it was like a fairyland. There are miles of tunnels and rooms, one tour was “the adventure tour” which involved squeezing through tiny opening on your belly. No thank you. 

No comments: