Sunday, October 06, 2019

Vegas Day One

Man. I am so annoyed. I wrote a long and witty (always wittier in hindsight, like the fish that got away) blog entry about our mini-getaway to Las Vegas and it vanished. Just disappeared. I will rewrite, but this one will be short and sweet. I’m too upset and mad at myself to write it all over again. This one will be “published” in many little entries. 

So we have family who go to Vegas quite often and they always invite us to come with them, but the timing never works. This time they called and asked us and we sort of looked at each other and thought “what the hell..why not?” Everything fell into place and off we went!

We drove to Kalispell on Saturday, hoping to outrun the expected storm. The flurries were just starting as we left and I was worried that we’d get delayed due to bad roads, but we had no issues, no one was at the border at all (other than the guards of course) and we were in Kalispell and met our travel peeps on time. There were 2 other couples plus us. I’m always so relieved when I’m in the same town as the airport. Disaster averted. 

Sunday morning we had a leisurely breakfast as the flight wasn't until 11 a.m. Kalispell is a small town, so the ride to the airport takes no time, parking is a breeze and hardly anyone else was there.



Before we knew it we were in the hot sun of Las Vegas , and since our friends stay at the hotel frequently, a limo had been arranged to pick us up. That was a sweet treat, no waiting for shuttles and then having to stop at every hotel along the way. We were also able to check in at the hotel via the VIP Lounge, so that saved time and lineups too.



We took our bags to our room (which I forgot to take a picture of, odd for me to forget that as I always take a room photo, but it was a normal, regular room) and headed out to see the sights!

Our friends know all the monorail and tram shortcuts and all the hotel routes, and that saved so much useless wandering as I am always lost. Always. So we went up to Harrah’s and “gambled” our way back. It hasn’t been too terribly long since we were in Vegas, but boy, the changes are incredible.

We stayed at the New York New York, which was pretty sweet. Becky tried her hardest to orient me by pointing out landmarks and directions. She did her best, but I was never really sure where I was. The hotel has a mini New York City and I could alway find that, and could then get myself pointed in the general direction of where I needed to go. We (all 6 of us) made plans to meet up every few hours at a designated spot, and the plan was to wait 10-15 minutes for everyone else and if someone didn’t show, then we would meet the next AM at 11 at a designated breakfast place. No one wants to waste their vacation time looking for stragglers. I am proud to announce that I was never late. I’m not gonna say I was never lost, but I was never late.

Steven and I had coffee each morning on the streets of New York before we met the others as we were a bit earlier to rise.



I love the outer facade of the hotel. For those who don’t know, this is all one hotel, designed to look like a cityscape. Pretty amazing.


Anyhow, that was day one and I am posting this now. Not losing another entry. 



No comments: